It’s that time of the year again when comic book creators and publishers, from the smallest single independent creator to the world’s two largest publishers, announce their newest and (would-be) greatest projects coming out over the next three to nine months. In years past, these announcements would be the highlights of panels and showcases at San Diego Comic-Con International. Now, in an effort to not get lost in the myriad of of breaking pop news, these announcements tend to spring up on the internet during the week before the big show.
Well, GeekPunk is no different. My big announcement this year for Comic-Con is that I’m going to be a dad! That’s right. My latest creator-owned project is an actual human being that I am co-creating with my wife Katie. This is our first, and currently our child is “untitled” with the name to be announced. Right now we’re calling the photogenic subject of the sonograms “Peapod.”
Now, this latest project of mine will be extremely limited and unavailable for purchase. But that will not stop me from promoting the hell out of it for the next six months until his/her arrival in January. And, I’m sure I’ll be continue to promote him/her in various forms of praise and acclaim until my time on this rock is up.
My new project will be an ongoing exercise in creative nurturing. I’ve already put in decades of research, and will continue to do so. Here are just a dozen examples of what I plan to instill into child…
- I will teach him/her the ways of the Force. (Star Wars)
- I will teach him/her to “Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.” (Star Trek)
- To live by the mantra “You can’t take the sky from me.” (Firefly)
- Sometimes you gotta “Fight For Your Right (To Party). (The Beastie Boys)
- To take the journey “There and Back Again.” (The Hobbit)
- To “Remember that it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” (To Kill A Mockingbird)
- That “It’s only an island if you look at it from the water.” (Jaws)
- To “have fun with ideas; to play with them.” (Ray Bradbury)
- That “With great power comes great responsibility.” (Spider-Man)
- To “Imagine all the people sharing all the world.” (John Lennon)
- That “Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.” (Yogi Berra)
- And, that “Love is love.” (President Barack Obama)
I’ve never been so excited. I’ve never been so scared. This is going to be fun.